There are two types of recoveries:
1) Restart Recovery
- Every time an instance is restarted/ started the consistency of all the databases including master, model, msdb and tempdb is checked.
- This process is an internal operation and initiated just to keep the entire instance clean and with integrity.
- Taking database offline/online involves restart recovery for that database.
2) Restore Recovery
- As per backup strategy whenever a restore is started and recovery is done per backup sequence.
- This entire process of recovery initiated manually is called as Restore recovery.
To get more information download the below link